Friday 11 February 2011

Game Art Design Year 2 Part 2, - Buildings.

Was just looking around at some jungle huts / cabins on the web. I found some very interesting results which I can take influence from and develop.Also I noticed a lot of my results came from Thailand, so potentially that has led me to do some more research on at a later date, possibly on foliage maybe. For my island theres going to be a few buildings Im hoping to construct. Firstly Ill talk about the buildings Im hoping on constructing in which the resident monkeys of the island will be situated. My initial idea is to have the buildings located at tree level, heres an interesting picture of a similar kind of aesthetic appeal i am hoping for on my game level as shown below.



Really like this image and its a great place to base some of my ideas on. I like the way the hut is kind of hibernated in the trees which is something i am aiming for which my concept as I want the idea of a deep tropical rainforest, similar to the Amazon. I'm not too keen on the idea of square huts though So i am thinking in something more like a Circular round hut. One of the reasons is Im planning on having the cable car station / hut as a square footing and I don't want the island to be to repetitive. Im undecided at this point as to how interactive I want the monkey huts to be. Im thinking maybe just have one where you can enter and look around the interior, but i'm undecided, thats an idea to develop in at a further date. I'm also thinking of connecting the monkey huts through a kind of tree path / bridge but again not such on how much interactivity i am going to include. Im planning on having a few buildings. There all gonna be the same building with maybe a little alterations. as I don't want to leave myself too much to do. Here below is a good image I found which I can base my ideas on for a round hut.



Just an idea of the kind of feel of the idea i am going for with the round hut. Should be easy to construct on Maya and texturing should be straightforward and for the interior, i am planning to have a couple of things to interact with, as to now i am not sure what but a few ideas I though of. Maybe turning on the television for the latest news on the island or even the radio which would properly be a more appropriate and easier option, what with been on a island. I plan on developing these ideas more within my concept art.



As aposed to my idea of having the huts located within three height. within my research I came across this image as shown below of having located within the water and been surrounded by beautiful landscraping around, the image is absolutly beautiful and has really opened up the idea of including water, but more than likely still having the huts at tree height. I think it would also add more apeal to the island, with the idea of including plenty of tropical trees within, I think it would make a nice different to include a lake, of which I could react with to get some lovely reflections of the water. quite like an idea of interacting with the buckets win which they go down and collect the water. I belive the addition of the lake would add so much more apeal to the island, and is a direction im more than likely going to include how im going to use it, im not sure as to this state. On another note I really like the shapes and textures of the buildings, the kind of triangle effect buildings which seems to be very poular and the textures of straw / palm roofs is very popular, and also bright and would greatly apeal to the younger audience.




Thought it would be a great part of research to actually look at a building similar to the kind of feel which im going for which has already been rendered through using maya. The main think I picked upon is that the design of the building is very simple however the right use of the textures really makes it stand out as something very interesting, which is something I should definatly consider, sometimes its more effective to have simple designs but get a beautiful texture which will stand out more compared to the vice versa. Whilst the building is a little to huanoid for me I really like the idea of having overgrown folliage, which is something to take forward and would react well upon the setting and the textures.




Just a few more buildings which grabbed my apeal. Im not sure in my design whether to have a kind of step walkway to reach the first hut, or to just gradually increase the size and have the first hut land level. I do like the idea of having a kind of rope to climb up as it liks withing the criteria of a monkeys behaviour as ther a re good climbers, but could be potentially trick executing when getting into unity but its an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment