Wednesday 1 June 2011

Saul Bass Influence

For my Project I have been looking at alot of Saul Bass work as its a very similar aproach Im looking for within my project as,Alot of his work includes the use of silhouette which I'm thinking of including in my project as I believe is very apropiate hence alot silhouette graphic images included in the novel And i really like the way inwhich he sticks to bold striking colours and rarely goes over 3 colour tones included within the same image which is something Ive been looking at keeping the sequence to a maximum of 3/4 colours inwhich Black and white would me most apropiate for the silhouette feel and red would look great for the feel of blood inwhich red blood splashes on a black and white image would creat a great effect, as with 100 bullets been a crime / action based novel you dont want to include bright colours although that would make an interesting contrast but the 3 colours previously mentioned id a great way into starting my development process.

What I also like about his work is that its not perfect and alot of lines are not straight or off, however this increases the quality and effect of his work as it provides it with a more kind of hand written feel, which would again fit in perfect to the direction of my project. I also really like the experimentation he has done with card and plan to experiement with similar techniques, however I dont want to rip into his work too much and give it more a feel of it been my work, however it will be hugely influenced by Saul Bass.

Heres a poster, which on immediate look was somthing I really loved, and could easily link with this kind of style into my game environment even though its a poster I can draw huge influence from it as a graphical aproach as its a similar direction im heading towards, and is the exact feel im looking for, I really love the way the silhouette is broken up to give that feel of it been shot and a few splatters to create the feel of blood flowing which I thought about in my level maybe photographing somone on the floor then going around him in photoshop / illustator to create similar effect or blood splatter marks on the celing.


Heres A poster In which I really like as it gives me an idea of potential fonts which could be apropiate inwhich to experemint with in my film title sequence, and I like how everything is compact yet easy to read and I like the grapahical aproach and the way the words are layed out, and the way that each word has its own personality, for example the word "big" has been enlarged and the word "red" has been given a more striking bold red and so on, so its something to consider with my typeface abd experiment with further.





Heres a poster to one of Saul bass exhibitions, another image that on first look grabbed my attention. I just really like the idea in which its not perfect and the use of 3 colours, which is really effective.

Below, Ive also been looking into the idea of including cutscenes within my game environment, and where better that to look than Saul Bass, his style of cutscrenes I believe would look great within my environment and in the hope of building the story up and creating that atmosphere im hoping for.




No comments:

Post a Comment